Raven's Call

Raven's Call
Haida Raven

Friday, September 17, 2010

Turn, turn, turn...

Wow - the grapes are moving along quickly. The Regents in particular are turning color fast.
Regent Grapes
But the real beauties are the Madeleine Angevines:
The row shown above had no cluster thinning. Compare to the row I thinned to one cluster per shoot:
I intend to harvest and weigh separately to determine yield, and measure Brix to see if thinning produced more advanced ripening. I don't know if I'll have enough to vint separately to determine quality.
Even the Pinot noir are starting to show some color:
But they are clearly weeks behind the Regent. My grafted Pinot noir 77 clone is similar:
But the grafted clone Pinot noir Precoce is clearly way ahead of the others:

and the Pinot Blanc, while beautiful clusters, don't look very ripe..

I tested a few Mad Ang and Regent berries today and they were in the 12 to 15 Brix range. Need a couple more weeks!

3 comments:

  1. Wow - looking good. The grafted varieties are the ones from cloud mountain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to the blog coming out of Sequim. My few (very few) Mads. are slipping on me (yikes!). Is this due to too much rain? The above pics are beautiful; wish my had the same formation. I am a beginner at the process. Plus, I have far too many side branches from my pruning last year. I cut them back quite a bit. Oh well. Can change anything at this point.

    Any wisdom? Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction... My Mads are not "slipping" , or maybe they are slipping away (vis a vis Frued) they are SPLITTING. Big difference. sorry for the typo

    ReplyDelete